For being in the rhythm of the busy city life, every person now wants to own a two-wheeler or his own car. But for doing so he needs a driving license if he wants to drive the vehicle by himself. Now the question arises:
What is Driving License?
A driver’s license is an official document permitting a specified individual to operate one or more types of vehicles on the public road. The types of vehicles can be motorcycle, car, truck, and bus.
The laws relating to the licensing of drivers vary between jurisdictions. In some of the jurisdictions, only after passing the driving test the license is issued. While in others, the person acquires the driving license even before starts to drive. Different types of driving license often exist in this country for different types of vehicles on the public road. Like, for a truck the driver has to train himself in riding a truck and pass the driving test in order to achieve a certified driving license.
Steps to apply for a new Driving Licence online:
There are various options available nowadays for the ones those want to apply for the driving license online. In order to Apply For New Driving Learning Licence online one has to follow some steps. The applicants those who are interested in applying for the new driving license online can easily do it by visiting the Sarathi website of the Road Transport and Highways Ministry. The link for the same is https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/HomePage.jsp. Then after visiting the site there comes an option of “New Driving Licence” from the website “Sarathi Services” column, on the website ‘voter-id/verifications homepage. The visitor then will be redirected to the new page and that will have all the information regarding the online application on it. The person, who wants to apply for the new driving license online, will have to go through these steps and instructions so that the application can be done easily. The form must be downloaded to the computer after reading all the instructions and is to be filled accordingly.Sponsored Links
Here are few steps which can guide an individual to Apply and Register for the Driving License online:
The processes are:
- The Sarathi website must be visited by the applier and the form must be downloaded in the computer and filled.
- The form must be downloaded as per the instructions provided there in the form and there comes an option of “submit”, which one has to click once the form is filled with accurate information.
- If there is a case of a minority applicant, then the form has to be printed out and then the “Section-D” of the form is to be filled up by the parent or guardian at the nearest RTO.
- The application form is to be submitted and uploaded along with the application form (proof of the age, address proof, learner’s license number).
- A web application number will be afterward generated after the submission of the application or the form. With the help of that, the status of the application of the form can be tracked.
- If the application is processed correctly, then the applicant will receive a notification or an SMS.
Documents needed for Apply Driving Licence:
For receiving the Driver’s License, there are various documents that have to be produced and submitted by the applicants. Valid documents with accurate and timely submission will ensure a smooth application process online for the driving license. The Documents Required For Driving Licence are:
Age Proof: (any one of these)
- PAN card
- Birth Certificate
- Marks Sheet of 10th Class
- Transfer certificate from the individual’s school for having his/her date of birth printed on it.
Proof of Address for Apply Driving Licence:
Permanent Proof addresses (anyone from the following):
- Aadhaar Card
- Electricity bill which is issued in the name of the applicant
- Agreement of Self-owned house
- Ration Card
- LIC bonds
- Voter ID card
Current Address Proof (any one of the following):
- Rental agreement as well as LPG bill.
- Rental agreement as well as electricity bill.
Other requirements for Driving Licence:
- The application form should be duly filled up. For getting this application form, one can either visit the nearest RTO Office or can download it from the online website for his own individual state.
- While applying for the learner’s driving license 6 photographs of passport size is required.
- While applying for the Driving License, one photograph of passport size is required.
- Fees for Application
- If the applicant is staying in any other city then he will have to produce his recent copy of the utility bill, rental agreement, and for the present address proof, he can also provide electricity bill or gas bill.
- Form 1A with Form 1, the medical certificate which should be issued by a Government Doctor having a proper certification.
- The medical certificate is compulsory for the applicants who have attained the age of 40.
What is the Process of Online Application?
Steps for the Online Application Process:
- Visit the link https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/HomePage.jsp and download the application form for the driving license.
- The screen will provide you with the instructions and the form is to be filled up accordingly. The filled up application form is then to be submitted by clicking on to the option of ‘Submit’.
- If the applicant is minor then the print out of the form is to be taken out and Part D should be filled up along with the sign of his parent from the nearest RTO office.
- The application form is to be submitted along with the required documents and all these documents have to be uploaded.
- After the submission of the form, an application number will get generated which will be further used for tracing the application status.
- After the processing of the application, the applicant will receive a notification through an SMS.
What is the importance of Driving License?
The Driving License Form has to be filled up duly for initiating the process of the receiving the driving license. With the help of the online mode, it has become a lot easier than filling up manually. The application form can be simply downloaded and can be filled up along with the necessary documents.
The Online Application Form (Form 9) is the form that is to be filled up by the applicants who wish to renew their old driving license.
What is the Learner’s License and how can it be applied online?
Before applying for the Driving License, the applicant will first have to apply for the Learner’s License. For applying for the Learner’s License, he should be:
- More than 16 years if he wants a license for two-wheeler and 18 years if he wants a license for a four-wheeler.
- He can apply for the Driver’s License after a month from the issue of the Learner’s License.
- The holders of the Learner’s license will have to apply for the Driving License within 6 months from the date of issue of the Learner’s License.
The Process of Applying Learning License Online is simple and easy as one will not have to wait at the long queues now. They can simply download the form or fill up the form and submit it online. Along with applying for the Learner’s License Online, the applicants can also book their appointment for the driving test simply sitting back at home.
- The applicants can visit the website of the Regional Transport Authority of their own Union Territory/State for filling up their application form and submitting the same.
- The applicants can also visit the link of https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/LLDLForm.jsp for filling up the application form. This website is looked after by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
Documents needed to Apply for the Learner’s License Online
The needed Documents for Applying Learning License Online are:
- Form 1 dealing with the declaration of Physical Fitness
- Recent passport-sized photographs
- Form 1-A or the Medical Certificate
- For Address Proof any one of the following has to be submitted:
- Ration Card
- Voter-id Card
- Life Insurance Policy
- Affidavit that has been sworn in front of a Judicial Magistrate or any Public Notary
- For Age Proof any one of the following has to be submitted:
- Birth Certificate
- Voter-id Card
- Life Insurance Policy
- Matriculation Certificate of School
- Affidavit sworn in front of the Magistrate or any Public Notary.
What are the fees involved for Learner Driving Licence and Driving License?
The main Difference Between Driving License and Learning License is that the Learning License is primarily issued for the ones who want to apply for the Driving License. The Fees for Driving License and Learning License is given below.
According to the 22nd Amendment in the Centre Motor Vehicle Rules, the new fees for Learner’s License are INR.200 and that of the Driver’s License is INR. 200. The fees for the test of Driving License are INR. 300.
How can you check the delivery status of the Driving License be checked?
Many raise the question of How to Check Driving License Delivery Status? One can either do it by visiting the nearest RTO Office and he should carry the token number of his application which was provided along with the Learner’s License. After giving the tests one can easily check the DL Status through the online mode.
- Visit the city’s website for driving license. It should be noted that every place has its own website and hence, one should be aware of it.
- One can then find an option “Track Your DL Delivery Status”. Click on it and the applicant will be redirected to another page.
- The applicant will now have to provide his token number with his zone before searching for the status of the Driving License.
- After filling up the necessary details, one will have to click on to the button of “Search” or “Submit” in order to receive the results.
Normally, the Driving License takes 3 weeks to get delivered to the applicant’s home. Even if the applicant is not at home, someone else should be there to receive it on his behalf by producing a valid ID and documentation proof.
How to Renewal of Driving License?
The Driver’s License has to be renewed every 5 years if an individual is holding a non-transport vehicle and 3 years for the case of transport vehicles.
- The Driving License Renewal form for the can be either collected from the local RTO Office or can be downloaded from the website of the regional RTO Office.
- Form 9 is the renewal form of the Driving License consisting of some information that has to be filled up by the applicant.
- Most of the information that is needed on this form is related to the present DL of the applicant.
- It also has blank spaces for authentic signatures authenticators.
- For initiating the whole process of renewal, the duly filled up application form will have to be supported by certain documents described below.
Documents Needed for the Driving License Renewal
- The application form should be duly filled up and the applicant can get this form from the State’s RTO website.
- The medical certificate of the applicant is also mandatory and this form of the medical certificate can also be downloaded from the RTO portal of the State and a licensed physician should fill up the same.
- The valid and permanent driving license is to be produced.
- Age proof can be given by a valid ID proof issued by the Government like PAN Card, Voter-ID Card, Passport, etc.
- For address proof, the applicant can provide driving license, passport, electricity bill, telephone bill, home agreement etc.
- Passport size photographs, the number of which differs from one state to another.
- In case the holder of the permanent license has changed his address, it should be registered within a month at the regional office or RTO Office which had issued his license earlier.
- The same has to be done if the applicant has shifted to any other state of the country. Along with this, the applicant will also have to submit a no-objection certificate issued by the RTO office which had issued the Permanent License.
- The present fee for the renewal of Driving License is INR 200.
How to get Duplicate Driving License
If a person has lost his driving license on road, he can surely get a Duplicate Driving License in India from the same RTO Office which had issued his original Driving License.
Documents Needed for Duplicate Driving License
- The LLD Application Form declaring the loss of the DL and application for a duplicate one.
- The FIR of the lost DL
- Original DL if it is mutilated or torn
- If the original DL is lost, photocopies of the same should be attached.
- DL details
- Photographs of passport size
- Documents for address proof
- Documents for age proof
Process to apply for the Duplicate Driving Licence Online
You can either collect the form for the Duplicate DL from the local RTO Office or can check out whether the website of transport of your state offers the online process.
- Completely fill the LLD form and Submit it. Upload all the necessary documents.
- Take a print out of the filled up form and attach photographs and sign wherever needed.
- Hand it over to the RTO Office which had previously issued your original DL along with the necessary documents. A driving test is not needed this time.
- Once these are done, the Duplicate DL will be sent to the registered residence address through post. A receipt will be provided which can be used in place of the DL till the Duplicate DL is issued.
Process to apply for the Duplicate Driving Licence Online
- Fill up the application form from the RTO which had issued the DL.
- Submit the filled up form along with the supporting documents, and signatures.
- A nominal fee has to be paid for getting the Duplicate DL. Once all the formalities have been completed, a receipt will be issued which the applicant can use in the place of DL till he gets the Duplicate DL. The Duplicate DL will arrive at the registered home address via post.
Duplicate Driving Licence Application Form
- Enter the full name and address as provided in the original DL.
- In the LLD Form, the applicant will have to disclose the reason for which he is applying for a duplicate DL. The circumstances of loss or mutilation of the DL should also be mentioned.
- The applicant will also have to provide the DL number, DL was provided for which class of vehicle, the name of the holder of DL, license authority along with the DL date of expiry.
- It is also to be declared that the authority did not impound the DL.
- Along with all the entered information, the application has to be signed and the date and place have to be entered. The sign is also mandatory in the place of specimen signature.
- For online mode, the information can be saved for future use. The applicant will also get a copy of the form in the format of PDF which can be printed out and submitted to the RTO Office after signing.
FAQ’s on Driving Licence / Learning Licence
- You should have a valid Learner’s license to apply for a Driver’s License. For doing so contact the regional RTO. You can also check the online portal of the Transport Department of your own State for doing the same through the online mode.
- The DL issued from any of the RTO Offices across India is valid throughout the nation.
- The DL is valid for a period of 20 years from the date of issue or until the time when the holder will be 50 years. Whichever is earlier is considered. The validity of DL for commercial vehicles is 3 years.
- Being under 50 years and applying for a non-transport DL does not need a medical license. Ones who are above 50 years should produce the medical certificate. Applicants of DLfor transport vehicles should produce the medical certificate and is applicable to all ages.
- If the applicant fails the test for DL, he can apply for another one after a week.
- The Learner’s License is valid for 6 months from the date of the issue all throughout the country.
- You should be accompanied by an experienced license holder, your instructor and the rear of the vehicle you are driving should have ‘L’ pasted on it so that the other drivers on road know that you are a budding one.
- With the expiry of the LL, you can either renew it or apply for a fresh one according to the rules of the RTO.
- In order to get the LL, one does not have to drive any motor vehicle but he will have to sit for an online written test and answer MCQs for testing his proficiency on the traffic signs and rules on road.
- One can apply for an LL for a non-gear vehicle and car together. A single test can be taken for both. But the application fee for both the non-gear vehicle and car has to be paid.